12/23/06

Mass solemnization
Or: liturgy on deadline.

It turned out that this Shabbos (when I wasn't working) happened to be the day when our shul's rabbi talked about gays, lesbians, and marrying 'em off to each other. Being a rabbi, and a sober, thoughtful one at that, he said (I'm paraphrasing): "I'll think about it and let you know." No surprise there.

The decision for our shul about whether to solemnize (celebrate, kiddush-ify, etc.) gay and lesbian partnerships is not really up in the air; I'd be surprised if the rabbi's decision does not make use of the CJLS teshuvot allowing them. But one main thing, now that the decision has more or less already been made, is that these ceremonies be not lame.

By "not lame" I actually mean a somewhat higher standard: liturgically powerful. With traditional oomph. Let the first GL couple come up to our bimah and get married in the context of psukim thoughtfully and poetically framed. I want liturgical creativity but in a formalist vein. Let us not have fifty different versions of self-written vows, nor de-heterosexualized versions of kiddushin -- since homosexual marriages are bound to be something else. Why not a legal formula that challenges and surprises, as does the harei at every time I hear it said? Why not re-write the ketubah from scratch? Who says a glass has to be broken?

No comments:

Post a Comment